LEVEL: A1 TIMING: 10 mins
AIM: To practise “What is your name?”, “My name is…”, “How do you spell that?”
INSTRUCTIONS: This is a good activity for students who do not know each other in the first class. Write the following model on the board: “What is your name?”, “My name is…”, “How do you spell that?” Ask the students to sit in a circle. Sit with them in the circle and ask the student on your left “What is your name?” He/She should reply “My name is (their name)”. Then ask “How do you spell that?”. The student should spell his/her name. While he/she is spelling it, ask the other students to write the name on a piece of paper. The activity continues around the circle until everyone has had a chance to practise the questions and answers. At the end, ask the students the names of all the people in the class.
ACTIVITY OF THE WEEK
LEVEL: B2 TIMING: 30 mins
AIM: To understand, practise and use 10 phrasal verbs in context.
INSTRUCTIONS: Give a copy of the worksheet below to each of your students to do.
1) Read the phrasal verbs in the table to understand them better.
||Spend time relaxing (informal)
|CATCH UP WITH
||Meet someone after a period of time and find out what they have been doing
|CUT DOWN ON
|GIVE (SOMETHING) UP
||Quit/stop doing it
||Stop eating something (permanently or for a long time)
||Like each other
||Argue and be on bad terms with someone
||Find something unexpectedly
2) Now read the phrasal verbs in the following sentences and fill in the gaps. Ask your partner the following questions and vice versa. Try to use the phrasal verbs.
- What do you normally do at the weekends?
I usually just h _ ng out with my friends. We go to the cinema or a bar. Unfortunately I don’t get the chance to cat _ h up with them often as we are all so busy with work.
- Do you have a healthy lifestyle?
I don’t think I really do. Something I definitely need to do is c _ t down on the amount I smoke, or even gi _ e it up completely. I would also like to cut o _ t red meat from my diet. I fo _ nd out that both of those are unhealthy.
- Do you like the place where you live?
Yes, I live with some college friends. There are several of us in the house so it is crowded, but we get _ long well so we have not had any serious problems. I f _ ll out with one guy who lived there because he played his music too loud, but he has moved out now.
- Do you like to collect things?
Not anymore, but the other day I was cle _ ning up my room when I came _ cross an old album of football stickers. I used to collect them when I was younger.
Answers: hang; catch; cut; give; out; found; along; fell; cleaning; across.
3) Fill in the gaps with one of the phrasal verbs from the box.
|cut down on hanging out get on clean up
found out gave up came across catch up
fell out cut out
- I _______________ ______________ with Jenny really well. We are best friends.
- I have a heart problem so I have to __________________ _________ ________ my cholesterol intake.
- I like ________________ __________________ with my friends at weekends. We often go to the cinema.
- I hope to ________________ ___________________ with my brother this weekend. I haven´t seen him for ages.
- I had an argument with my colleague at work. I _____________ ______________________ with him. We haven´t talked to each other for a month now.
- The kitchen is in such a mess. I will have to _____________________ it __________ before we go out.
- I ____________________ ________________________ last week that I am getting a promotion at work.
- I _________________________ ______________________________ an old photo of my father yesterday. I hadn´t seen it for years.
- I´ve completely __________________ ________________________ meat from my diet. I´m now a vegetarian.
- I __________________________ ___________________ the crossword in the end. It was too difficult for me.
Answers: 1. get on 2. cut down on 3. hanging out 4. catch up 5. fell out 6. clean it up 7. found out 8. came across 9. cut out 10. gave up.
4) Write about experiences in your life using the ten phrasal verbs.
For example: I am going home at Christmas. I will catch up with lots of people there…