Activity: Less is more
Level: B2 Timing: 20 mins
Aim: to talk about living with less things, but having more quality of life.
Instructions: Start the class by whispering the following question into a student´s ear “Could you wear only 33 items of clothing for 3 months?”. This student should then repeat what you said into the next person´s ear and so on until your original question reaches the last student. Ask this student what he/she heard and compare it with your question. In English, this game is called “Chinese whispers”.
Ask students to discuss the question in pairs. Afterwards, give the students the following worksheet:
|1. Read the following description of a challenge set up by a writer and blogger.
Project 333 is the minimalist fashion challenge that invites you to dress with 33 items or less for 3 months.
· When: Every three months (It’s never too late to start so join in anytime!)
· What: 33 items including clothing, accessories, jewellery, outerwear and shoes.
· What not: these items are not counted as part of the 33 items – wedding ring or another sentimental piece of jewellery that you never take off, underwear, sleep wear, in-home lounge wear, and workout clothing (you can only wear your workout clothing to workout)
· How: Choose your 33 items, box up the remainder of your fashion statement, seal it with tape and put it out of sight.
· What else: consider that you are creating a wardrobe that you can live, work and play in for three months. Remember that this is not a project in suffering. If your clothes don’t fit or are in poor condition, replace them.
2. Discuss the following with your partner:
a) Which 3 pieces of clothing could you definitely not part with? Why?
b) Would this challenge work for you? Why/Why not?
c) Do you think you have too much clutter in your house/flat? If so, do you have any practical measures for decluttering?
d) Do you agree/disagree with these statements? Explain why.